Monday, February 25, 2008

THE WAR IS OVER!

Toshiba to quit HD DVDs, ends format war - Yahoo! News: "By Mayumi Negishi Tue Feb 19, 7:28 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Toshiba Corp (6502.T) surrendered in the high-definition home movie war on Tuesday, giving up on its HD DVD format after losing the support of key studios and retailers to the Blu-ray technology backed by Sony Corp (6758.T).
ADVERTISEMENT

The decision by the electronics maker ends the battle with a consortium led by Sony over who would set the standard for the next generation of discs, a fight that confused shoppers and stalled a move to the new technology in the $24 billion home DVD market."



Whew, I was staying up every night tossing and turning with the stress of deciding what DVD format to buy. Last thing anyone wants is to be stuck with a 21st century equivalent of Betamax. I'm surprised it wasn't a debate question. I'm pretty sure McCain was for HD DVD before he was against it.

3 Comments:

  1. Vic DeMize said...
    This makes up for Sony losing the BetaMax VCR war you mentioned!
    Anonymous said...
    Sad part is, I have an HDDVD player. It was cheap, though, so not much harm done.
    TomCat said...
    I'm glad it's finally settled. This time I was smart enough to wait. I felt so stupid, a few years back, being the only one in the neighborhood with a BetaMax. :-(

Post a Comment